Our kidneys are bean shaped organs in our bodies. Every day our kidneys process about 200 quarts of blood to sift out approximately 2 quarts of waste and water. This waste and water becomes our urine. Most everyone is born with 2 kidneys.
Here are the risk factors of kidney cancer:
- Smoking– if you currently smoke, please stop
- Having a relative that had kidney cancer
- Having high blood pressure
- Having advanced kidney disease, especially if you are on dialysis
- Taking “water pills” /diuretics
- Workplaces that expose you to certain chemicals/ herbicides and solvents.
Here are some warning signs of kidney/renal cancer:
- Bloody urine (medical term: hematuria)
- Weight loss
- A consistent fever
- Low back pain in the kidney area
- A mass or lump in the back or side area
- Loss of appetite/ not hungry
If you have any of these signs, please see your doctor immediately to be check out.